Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Post #19: What to do now...

This is a story I started some time ago that I thought I would revise so I could take it to a writer's conference.

Haley sat outside the school waiting for him. Aden had been in there for hours, and it was starting to get dark. She shouldn't bee here. She got up and started to walk home. When she turned the corner she saw him there in front of her. Impossible! Haley opened her mouth to yell at him, but stopped. Something in her wanted to follow him. So she stayed a couple of steps behind him the whole way through town and into a part of town that made her uncomfortable. Dark alleys lined these streets and the old buildings were covered with graffiti. When she thought she saw someone lurking in the alley she had just passed she turned to yell for Aden, but he was gone. She saw the edge of his foot disappear down an alley. Haley ran for the alley and was met with a high wall of a dead end. She turned around looking for another way out. Oh no! Was she seeing things again? Did Aden even come down here? Or was he an apperation. No, he was the whole reason she had started seeing things and she was going to find him and some answers. Haley crept forward and started feeling the wall, maybe there was a secret passage? "Why did you follow me Haley?" A low voice said from the mouth of the alley. Haley gasped and turned around to face Aden. "I need to talk to you." Haley said as she walked towards him. "About what happened the other day." "I told you not to ask!" he growled. Haley stopped advancing, she had never seen him this nervous. He kept looking behind his back and checking his watch and glaring at her. "How could I not ask Aden? I've been losing my mind! I saw you glow for Pete's sake!" Haley could feel herself losing it, and she took a few calming breaths. "I just need you to tell me I'm not crazy please!" She said softer. Aden looked at her for a moment, his face softening, "Did you say you saw me glow?" he asked. Haley nodded her head. "Are you sure that what you saw? I mean, we were watching a slide show, maybe you just saw it reflect off of something and it made it look like I was glowing." His voice was softer now, and Haley could see now how she had been mistaken. Of course he hadn't been glowing! She had just let her apprehensions about him cloud her better judgement. In fact, she now felt stupid and stalkerish. At least he wasn't making fun of her like most boys would. "Oh gosh Aden! I'm so sorry I must have sounded like a complete crazy person. I have no idea what got into me!" Haley said apologetically. "Yeah, yeah no problem." Aden said distractedly. He was looking over his shoulder more often now and checking his watch more frequently. "You really should go home." he said grabbing her arm "Like, right now!" Haley drew back. No matter how cute, she did not like boys manhandling her! And the sooner Aden learned that lesson the better. "I will, but I don't need you to drag me there." Haley said as she tried to pull her arm away from him, but it was impossible. If anything his grip seemed to be getting stronger by the second. "Aw, crap!" Aden said. "What?" Haley asked. Aden turned to her with a pleading look in his eyes. "I'm sorry, but please don't freak out." He pleaded as the moon rose over the horizon.

1 comment: